Blackpool is a large town and seaside resort on the Lancashire coast in North West England.
The town is situated on the Irish Sea, between the Ribble and Wyre estuaries.
As of October 2020, the population of Blackpool is about 140,000 people.
The town covers a total area of 35 square kilometers (13.5 square miles).
The average altitude is 5 metres (16 feet) above sea level.
Throughout the Medieval and Early Modern period, Blackpool was a coastal hamlet in Lancashire’s Hundred of Amounderness.
Blackpool’s growth has been fairly rapid since the late 18th century, when it was transformed from a small hamlet clustered around a “black pool” into a fashionable sea-bathing centre.
Its early popularity is ascribed to the British scientific writer William Hutton, who popularized the health-giving properties of seawater.
Its proximity to the Lancashire industrial towns and the introduction of fast railway services brought about Blackpool’s rapid 19th-century growth.
In 1881, Blackpool was a booming resort with a population of 14,000 and a promenade complete with piers, fortune-tellers, public houses, trams, donkey rides, fish-and-chip shops and theatres.
By 1901 the population of Blackpool was 47,000, by which time its place was cemented as “the archetypal British seaside resort”.
By 1951 it had grown to 147,000 people.
Today, Blackpool is a thriving resort with many attractions.
The parish church of Blackpool Saint John the Evangelist, or St John’s Blackpool, is an Anglican church in Blackpool. It was completed in 1878 and is a Grade II listed building. A church was built on the site in 1821 and was replaced by the current building to accommodate a larger congregation. The church was designed by Garlick, Park and Sykes in the Early English style.
The Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, or Sacred Heart Church, is a Roman Catholic church in the seaside resort of Blackpool, Lancashire, England. Located on Talbot Road close to the town centre, it was the first Roman Catholic church built in Blackpool. It has been designated a Grade II* listed building by English Heritage.
Blackpool Pleasure Beach is an amusement park situated on Blackpool’s South Shore. The park was founded in 1896 by A.W.G. Bean and his partner John Outhwaite, and has been family owned and operated since its inception. The park is host to many records, including the largest collection of wooden roller coasters of any park in the United Kingdom. Many of the roller coasters in the park are record-breaking attractions. When it opened in 1994, The Big One was the tallest roller coaster in the world. It was also the steepest, with an incline angle of 65° and the second fastest with a top speed of 74 miles per hour (119 km/h). Currently, the ride holds the record as the tallest roller coaster in the United Kingdom, standing at 213 ft (65 m), with a first drop of 205 ft (62 m).
Central Pier is one of three piers in Blackpool and was built in 1868. The pier has suffered relatively little damage save for fires in 1964 and 1973 which gutted the theatre buildings. The main structural alterations have been the removal of the obsolete 120 meters (131 yards) low tide jetty in 1975 and the construction of the Ferris wheel in 1990. The addition of the wheel required the midsection of the pier to be strengthened to cope with the extra weight.
North Pier is the most northerly of the three coastal piers in Blackpool. Built in the 1860s, it is also the oldest and longest of the three. Although originally intended only as a promenade, competition forced the pier to widen its attractions to include theatres and bars. Unlike Blackpool’s other piers, which attracted the working classes with open air dancing and amusements, North Pier catered for the “better-class” market, with orchestra concerts and respectable comedians. Until 2011, it was the only Blackpool pier that consistently charged admission.
Blackpool Tower is a tourist attraction in Blackpool, which was opened to the public on 14 May 1894. When it opened, Blackpool Tower was the tallest man made structure in the British Empire. Inspired by the Eiffel Tower in Paris, it is 158 metres (518 feet) tall and is the 125th-tallest freestanding tower in the world. Blackpool Tower is also the common name for the Tower Buildings, an entertainment complex in a red-brick three-storey block that comprises the tower, Tower Circus, the Tower Ballroom, and roof gardens, which was designated a Grade I listed building in 1973.
The Winter Gardens is a large entertainment complex in Blackpool, which includes a theatre, ballroom and conference facilities. It has hosted the annual conferences of British political parties and trade unions and its owners claim that every Prime Minister since World War II has addressed an audience at the venue.
Blackpool Zoo is a 32-acre (13 ha) zoo, owned by Parques Reunidos and located in the sea-side resort of Blackpool, Lancashire, England. It provides a home to over 1,350 animals from all over the world. The zoo opened in 1972 on a site which had previously been the Stanley Park Aerodrome.
Blackpool Illuminations is an annual lights festival, founded in 1879 and first switched on 18 September that year, held each autumn in the British seaside resort of Blackpool on the Fylde Coast in Lancashire. Also known locally as The Lights or The Illuminations, they run each year for 66 days, from late August until early November at a time when most other English seaside resorts’ seasons are coming to an end. They are 10 km (6.2 miles) long and use over one million bulbs.
Blackpool is one of the largest and most popular resorts in England.
Blackpool gets its name from a historic drainage channel (possibly Spen Dyke) that ran over a peat bog, discharging discoloured water into the Irish Sea, which formed a black pool (on the other side of the sea, “Dublin” (Dubh Linn) is derived from the Irish for “black pool”). Another explanation is that the local dialect for stream was “pul” or “poole”, hence “Black poole”.
People originating from Blackpool are called Sandgrownians or Sandgrown’uns.